I just got a Windows 10 phone and I’m very happy with my decision.
You may think it’s crazy to get a Windows 10 phone these days.
Because it surely seems that Microsoft has abandoned windows phones completely:
- W10M has been put on a separate development branch and many are calling this being ‘put out to pasture’.
- Microsoft says it will support W10M until the end of 2018, putting a time limit on it, in its current form.
- Only one new W10M device has been released recently.
- Tech media keeps talking about W10M being dead.
Knowing all this, why would I get a W10M phone at this time?
Because it’s the least bad option!
- After a few months using android as my daily driver, I just can’t bear it anymore.
- I was still using my old W8.1 Phone for most text heavy things, because android was almost unusable for this.
- My W10M phone will get OS and security updates for more than 1 year. HTC will NEVER update my android phone and NEVER patch any of the many known security vulnerabilities.
- W10M is just so nice to use, so intuitive. I can type so much faster than I would ever be able to on my android. Cursor control is easy and intuitive – on android it’s a fight.
- I will never grow to hate my W10M and I won’t feel like I struggle with it when I use it – unlike my android phones which annoyed me so much.
- My W10M phone was cheaper than my budget android. I chose a 650 because it has a good reputation, unlike the 950. It’s no beast, but it does what I need and the screen is amoled.
- It’s just the many little things that make W10M so much nicer to use than android. Many little helpful things, such as cursor control, text entry experience, smooth operation, it usually works as it should and is expected to, its really stable, etc.
- Sure windows has nice looking live tiles and all that. Totally unimportant to me – UX is where its at.
Sure, we all know android has more features and important apps. I can use my android for those few apps. There’s about 5 of them.
It’s pretty important to add, that before I first used windows phones, I thought android was ok. It was annoying, but I had no comparison. Then, a few days after getting my Windows phone, I was shocked at how much better the user experience is. I can never go back from that. And I have never wanted to.
When the end of 2018 comes around, and if I still have my W10M phone (fingers crossed!), then I can decide what to do. But I hope that I don’t have to choose from only 2 platforms – iOS and android. That would really be a tragedy.
I want W10M to continue, because I don’t hate it.